Wedding_chicks_1kb

1960s Mad Men Theme Wedding

Susie here — also known as The Wedding Chicks programmer. You might remember my Mad Men Save the Date from earlier this year (click here to get your own customized version). I can’t believe it, but the wedding came and went on Friday, October 1! I’m here to share the details with you! Please enjoy our Mad Men Theme Wedding.

All of the amazing photos were taken by the super sweet and oh-so-talented Seattle wedding photographer, Julie Harmsen.

When we got engaged we knew our wedding wouldn’t be traditional. We wanted something fun, comfortable, and focused on our love. To come up with the theme, I brainstormed with Jocey (one half of The Wedding Chicks!). Our original venue, which actually went out of operation before our wedding, was decked out in mid-century modern furniture. We loved this look, so we chose to match it with an early-to-mid 60s Mad Men theme. I started collecting ideas by going through vintage magazines from the 1960s, like Vogue, and photo galleries from the show.

To capture the Mad Men look, I had my dress custom designed by Andrea Pitter of Pantora. Working with Andrea was so easy! I explained my vision and she took my ideas and came up with her own creative spin. I finished the look with vintage-inspired jewelry by Mercury Jane Designs on Etsy. The birdcage veil and mini hat was custom designed by Eugenia of Petit Plume, who stepped in for me very last minute and designed something 100% original! Of course the look would not have been complete without the help of Renee and Emily of Two Fishes Artistry, who gave me a high, retro updo and beautiful makeup to match.

We had planned for our wedding to be held at a rooftop venue overlooking the Las Vegas strip. We wanted the reception to feel more like a cocktail party with dancing under the stars. Six weeks before the wedding, we discovered that our venue had gone “out of operation”. Our absolutely incredible wedding coordinator, Juliet Douglas of Green Orchid Events, really came through for us in hunting down a replacement venue on such short notice. She executed and coordinated the entire wedding flawlessly. Juliet and her team were our wedding heroes! Thanks to their hard work, we landed a perfect backup venue in The Platinum Hotel a few miles off the strip. The Misora Terrace at the hotel has a breathtaking view of the Strip as well as the mountains beyond, making it a beautiful spot for the ceremony as well as the perfect spot for a party-vibe reception after sunset.

We kept the ceremony simple, and sweet, and it was such a beautiful event for us! We only invited our immediate family members to the ceremony to keep it intimate. We placed benches for the guests around our four post altar with hanging orange and white blooms and crystals. Everyone had a great seat, and we were surrounded by a warm, loving energy. Our officiant Reverend Judy Irving wrote such a touching ceremony that all of our guests loved.

At the reception, we opted for an interactive dessert station rather than a traditional wedding cake. Our floral designer, Fleuretica, along with Picture Perfect Events, came up with the clever concept of a station divided in half, with one side representing feminine, and the other masculine, joined together by a common object: a window in the middle of a shared wall. This symbolism was so perfect for marriage, but also for the Mad Men theme in creating a retro kitchen for one side, and a sleek mid-century modern bar or office for the other. They filled each space with vintage furniture and props from the 1960s. I felt like we were on the Mad Men set! Sweet and Saucy Shop provided the delicious and lovely little desserts for each side, which included mini lattice top pies and delicate french macaroons in the kitchen, and rich chocolate mousse dessert shots and chocolate dipped pecan shortbread squares in the office.

Guests were encouraged to channel Mad Men in their attire. Fleuretica put together an amazing accessory bar for us, again using vintage pieces and tons of props throughout the display. The ladies could finish off their retro look with gloves, handbags, pearls, and scarves, while the men could grab a fedora, vintage tie, and vest, amongst other items. The station also had other great details, like an old shoe shine kit and perfume bottles. This was a huge hit with our guests! We let them capture their look in photos by setting up a photo booth area with a long couch right next to the accessory bar. Our amazing photographer, Julie Harmsen, created the setup for us and provided a remote control so guests could snap their own shots. We now have hundreds of hilarious, super fun photos that we will absolutely treasure forever.

In lieu of a traditional guestbook, an aqua, vintage typewriter (do any weddings *not* have a vintage typewriter these days?) directed guests to write a note and tack it to our “office bulletin board”, as Mad Men is set mostly in the office. I also purchased an orange suitcase from the 1960s on Etsy, and used it to hold the cookie favors. The favors were made by my uber talented sister-in-law, Brigi, who matched them to the invitations I designed (look for a customizable version of my invitation coming your way soon!). We also included four popular 1960s cocktails for guests to try at the bar.

DJ Smiles Davis of the infamously awesome The Flashdance kept the party going all night long. Smiles was our dream DJ! She played a great eclectic mix of songs and kept the party vibe right where we wanted it without ever treading anywhere near “traditional reception music”. Everything you have heard about The Flashdance is true — they are the best, there is no way around it.

Lighten Films was on hand to capture the event in live action on film. We’ll share a trailer from them in a few weeks so you can see what it was like, up close and personal!

I will be sharing more details and personal stories over in Brides in the coming weeks!

Photographer: Julie Harmsen Photography
Coordinator: Green Orchid Events
Flowers: Fleuretica
Desserts: My Sweet and Saucy
Officiant: Reverend Judy Irving
Filmmaker: Lighten Films

Cookie Favors: Brigi Schindler, sister-in-law of the bride
Dessert Station Design: Fleuretica and Picture Perfect Events
DJ: Smiles Davis from The Flashdance
Dress: Pantora by Andrea Pitter
Furniture rental: Somers Furniture
Hair & Makeup:  Two Fishes Artistry
Headpiece: Petit Plume
Invitation & Printed Materials: Zee Studio (the bride)
Jewelry: Mercury Jane Designs
Lighting: All Events DJ
Printer: Papeterie
Venue & Catering: The Platinum Hotel

Comments

1. 0. weddingchicks says:

Yay!! Our Susie got married and we got to share in her special day! She had an AMAZING line up of vendors and we are so happy for Susie and Dan!

2. 0. julie harmsen says:

Thank you for allowing me to be a part of the day! so fun! :)

3. 0. Lemon says:

Her dress is SO beautiful! Incredible details!

4. 0. weddingchicks says:

Julie, you are so amazing! You were the PERFECT choice for this wedding!

5. 0. Genie says:

Thanks so much for letting Petit Plume be a part of your special day! You look beautiful!!

6. 0. weddingchicks says:

we LOVE Petit Plume, so feminine and beautiful. (: thank you for making such pretty headpieces.

7. 0. tessa kim says:

Gorgeous wedding! I am in love with the mad men theme and they got it down to a tee!

8. love the orange and blue color palette! beautiful!

9. 0. Kathy says:

Thank you so much for including Mercury Jane Designs in your special day! It looks like everything turned out perfectly, and so fabulous! Congrats again!

10. 0. Fleuretica says:

thanks so much for letting us be a part of your special day! it was such a fun wedding to put together!

11. 0. Natasha says:

What great details, Juliet! You KNOW how much Chris and I LOVE Mad Men!

12. Beautiful wedding! Love the bright colors and their theme is so fun!

13. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all the details!! A Favorite for sure! Both in that you are one of my most favorite people on earth, and two in that the party was so beautifully executed! Huge cheers and hugs to you both xxoo

14. The pink vintage style 50′s dress is stunning!! Fantastic!

15. 0. Susie says:

Yay! This day was absolutely beyond incredible for us — so special, fun, and warm. I had the time of my life. Thank you so much, Amy and Jocey, for helping me have the wedding of my dreams! Also, all of my WC vendors were absolutely amazing — such a great resource! And thank you for letting us share our wedding with the Wedding Chicks readers!

16. 0. Wendy says:

Gorgeous wedding and super sweet Mad Men details!

17. 0. Juliet Douglas says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you Amy and Jocey for introducing me to Susie. If I could describe the perfect wedding, it would be this. Susie and Dan arrived early with smiles on their faces and were so happy throughout the entire day. I am so honored to have been part of this amazing team!

18. What a fantastic wedding! I especially love the photos, props to the photographer Julie!
    The flowers are beautiful and perfect!
    Great job to a wonderful team.

19. Beautiful! I love the orange and aqua color scheme.

20. 0. Andrea pitter says:

Susie thanks for allowing me to make your wedding dress, you look absolutely stunning. Thank you for your order, you were an excellent bride to work with.

21. 0. The Sassy Bride says:

Adorable! love all the details and the couple is too cute together!

22. So gorgeous! I love the colors.

23. this wedding looks like so much fun…i swear it gets harder and harder to describe weddings the better and better that they get! another great find!

24. 0. Jennifer Ballard says:

Nice work Julie! Beautiful pictures!

25. 0. nate henderson says:

Wowsers; this one is pretty dang cool. Love the feel of it all. Love the self manned photo couch a la fedoras and white gloves…

26. 0. Angelica says:

The colors, the decor, the dress…..I love it all! I can tell this wedding was a lot of fun just from the pictures.

27. 0. Beth says:

I love every little detail, especially those on the dessert station! It looks like a beautiful and fun wedding!

28. 0. Shanna says:

This was such a fun wedding to be apart of! I’m glad I got to witness Susie and Dan’s lively reception with their guests who dressed in the theme. Congratulations to you both!

29. All I can say is, I love the style and WOW WOW WOW!

MCM is going strong.

30. SOOOO FUN!

31. 0. Rachel Wilkerson says:

Um GORGEOUS! I love that it has a fun theme but isn’t totally over the top.

32. 0. Monica says:

I want to know what’s the name of the type of letter in the wedding invitations!

33. 0. Kylie says:

I love your invites and would like to do something similar for our wedding in August. Does anyone know the fonts used for this invite?

34. 0. Yessica says:

Could someone please help me out with the fonts for these invites? Perfect wedding invitations for my dream wedding depends on it! PLEASE.

35. 0. walizki, says:

It is appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I
    desire to suggest you few interesting things or advice.
    Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article.
    I wish to read more things about it!

36. You have made some decent points there. I checked on
    the web for additional information about the issue
    and found most individuals will go along with your views on this
    web site.

37. 0. Rod Wilkes says:

With the wedding invitation at the top could you tell me the font that is used for the words “with joyous hearts”?

Thanks
    Rod

38. 0. check over here says:

Very good article. I am facing many of these issues as
    well..

39. 0. news says:

I was excited to find this great site. I want to to thank you for ones time for this wonderful
    read!! I definitely loved every part of it and i also
    have you saved to fav to look at new stuff in your web site.

40. Ginger This spice is well-known for being friendly to
    upset stomachs, and it is a well-known sciatica and walking trigger
    because it is going to give businesses headaches.

41. 0. photo booth says:

Having read this I believed it was extremely enlightening.
    I appreciate you taking the time and effort to put this short
    article together. I once again find myself personally spending a
    lot of time both reading and posting comments.
    But so what, it was still worthwhile!

42. 0. torby sportowe says:

Very good website you have here but I was wanting to know if
    you knew of any forums that cover the same topics talked about here?
    I’d really love to be a part of community where I can get responses
    from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest.

If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thank
    you!

1. [...] Pictures from Julie Harmsen via The wedding chicks. [...]

2. [...] to see who they all are!  The gorgeous bride Susie actually works over at the oh so popular blog, The Wedding Chicks, so she knew exactly who she wanted for her special day! Thanks to Julie Harmsen for the wonderful [...]

3. [...] Bride & Groom, Martini Glass, Accessories, Mad Men Scene, Cocktail Book, Mad Men [...]

4. [...] This is when I stumbled with this amazing websites with tons of ideas and tutorials. The blog Wedding Chicks and Emmaline Bride have put together a Mad Men wedding madness and here I share them with [...]

5. [...] to going to Banana Republic and buying the whole “Mad Men”-inspired line, or having a “Mad Men” wedding. Because as much as I’d like to focus on what I’d look like wearing Joan’s [...]