You have to admit, there's something romantic about a winter wedding. A magical day filled with cozy cocktails, first dances, and dramatic wintery backdrops. If you too love a winter wedding like the rest of us, then you're in luck. With the help of romantic dress designer extraordinaire, Maggie Sottero Designs, we are dishing all the secrets to planning the perfect winter wedding.
Read on to learn how you too can create a breathtaking winter wedding.
1. love your locationWinter is fickle! Sometimes there can be 10 inches of snow and a freak ice storm, and sometimes there isn't any snow at all. Make sure that you love your venue whether there is a white wintery backdrop or not.
Above is Bend, Oregon, a fantastic location for a winter wedding. Typically there is always snow in the winter and tons of snowy activities in which to partake. It's a super fun spot for a destination wedding for the avid skier.
Sunriver Resort and Brasada Ranch are our top two choices for wedding venues in the area.
2. ensure your dress is winter ready
When selecting the perfect white winter wedding gown, we were immediately drawn to the Allen Gown by Sottero and Midgley. A show-stopping ballgown featuring a sheer bodice that is filled with sparkling Swarovski crystals and precious pearl-like beads. The detail on this dress is AMAZE and beyond figure flattering.
If you're planning a white winter wedding, we suggest looking for a dress with long sleeves and a wedding gown with a full bottom. This will keep you warmer than a strapless lace wedding gown. You can also easily hide leggings or thicker tights and snow boots under the dress without anyone knowing.
shop this winter wedding dress
3. bring a faux stole or faux fur to wear
Bring a faux stole or faux fur to wear in your photos. A large snow jacket isn't going to look ultra fabulous in your photos.
We picked up this faux fur stole below from Amazon and it was incredibly warm, and we were all fighting on who'd wear it. Buy warm faux stole here.
4. Select vibrant bloomsWe love vibrant bouquets for snowy weddings. Although white is classically beautiful, it tends to blend in with the wintery background. We love something with a pop of color. Think rich reds, soft pinks, and creamy peaches.
5. warm your legsAs we mentioned above, wear thermals under your wedding dress to keep your legs warm during photos. Jade wore these fleece-lined leggings. They were lightweight like tights but kept her extra warm.
6. warm your hands upBring hand warmers! You can't see it in these photos, but Jordan and Jade are both holding hand warmers while they are taking their winter wedding photos. In between photos, Jordan would place them on Jade's back to warm her up.
7. pack a beanieBring a beanie or hat to keep your head warm in between photos.
P.S. How spectacular does the Allen Gown by Sottero and Midgley look in the snow?
8. pack two pairs of wedding shoesInvest in two pairs of shoes. If you plan on taking photos in the snow, bring along of a pair of insulated boots. Allowing you to comfortably trek through the snow.
Your second pair of shoes will be your "wedding shoes." Like these gorgeous Badgley Mishka crystal encrusted bridal sandals.
9. take into consideration the light
Take into account that winter months have less light, so plan your portraits accordingly. If it gets dark sooner than you expected, consider taking couple portrait shots the following day at a new location.
10. winter wedding skin
Start a skin regime for winter about 6-10 months prior to your wedding.
For day-of, you'll need a thicker, more occlusive moisturizer that will provide a protective barrier against the cold. Also, a spray hydration is good to keep the skin looking moist and calm. Jane Iredale makes a great hydration spray that you can carry around with you.
We were so concerned about Jade, we forgot to mention how fabulous Jordan looks. His sharp black Tuxedo suit is from Stitch and Tie. We opted for a classic black tuxedo. It went perfectly with Jade's Sottero and Midgley ball gown. Don't you think?
order your groom's suit here
Not only was beyond easy to order, it arrived perfectly tailored and fit Jordan like a glove. We simply had to put it back in the box and return it.