More than likely you are not going to start munching on your wedding bouquet or nibbling on your centerpiece, but weirder things have happened at weddings.
To ensure that you don't poison your guests that have an appetite for blooms, we wanted to inform you on a few flowers that could be potentially deadly. So, read on to learn about 10 poisonous flowers you might not want at your wedding. Pretty Hydrangeas above photographed by Annie Spratt.
Calla Lilly is actually not a true lily, but like other lilies, this striking white flower is actually poisonous.
Skin irritation and a rash can occur upon contact. Typically the florist wraps a ribbon around the bouquet, so it should be fine, but if you plan to hold them au naturel, then you might have wanted to know you possibly could get a little rash. Photo: jbirdny
Hemlock looks a lot like Queen Anne's Lace which used in a lot of floral arrangement. However they are very different. Hemlock is poisonous and death from eating any part can occur within hours.
The entire plant, including the flowers is poisonous. Although poison hemlock is more known for poisonings as a result of ingesting, the plant’s natural oils may absorb through the skin. Long story short, don't try to replace Queen Anne's Lace with Hemlock. Photo: wildutah.us
Chances are your florist will not try and put an OpiumPoppy in your bouquet, but stranger things have happened.
Only the opium poppy, papaver somniferum, is used for the production of opium, but all species of poppy contain chemicals that suppress the nervous system and cause death.
We love these bright flowers, but they have a deadly secret. The Amaryllis Belladonna has an intoxicating fragrance, but contain poisons that cause cardiovascular collapse. Not a great side effect. Photo: J. Parkers
lillly of the valley
Miranda Kerr actually had a The Valley Bouquet. See it here. I doubt she nibbled on the flowers though. The entire plant is considered poisonous if eaten. Symptoms of poisoning include stomach ache and blurred vision. These flowers are very toxic for animals. Photo: Wikipedia
You actually have to eat a ton of Hydrangea leaves, buds and flowers to actually get sick. You will ended up having severe gastroenteritis symptoms along with diarrhea.
If you have sensitive skin, you may develop contact dermatitis from handling the plants. Photo: Gardening Know How
Chrysanthemums are very toxic, particularly to cats and dogs. Humans typically get dermatitis (pink itchy rash) while handling the flowers. That's because chrysanthemums contain toxins such as lactones, pyrethrins and sesquiterpene. Not sure that those things are, but they sound scary. Photo: Wikipedia
We see so many dogs at weddings, so take that into consideration when selecting your florals. You know dogs they will eat anything. Azelas contain grayanotoxins, which can cause nausea, vomiting and depression of the central nervous system if ingested by animals. Severe poisoning can result in coma or death. Lesson: keep them away from animals and small children. Photo: J. Parkers
The Iris is another one that will give us that dermatitis (pink itchy rash) on humans skin. They also contain the potentially toxic compounds irisin, iridin, or irisine. The gastrointestinal tract may become affected by the glycoside iridin, causing nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, and fever. No fun! Photo: my12cats.com
Did you know that Sweet Peas are members of legume family? However, you cannot eat them like a can of beans. All sweet peas plants are toxic. You may see a lot of what looks like Sweet Peas on food on Instagram, but that is probably Lathyrus sativus, which is cultivated for consumption by humans and animals. Read more at gardeningknowhow.com Photo: Floret