Calling all bakeaholics! We have the yummiest red velvet cake recipe with cream cheese frosting for you, and just in time for Valentine's Day. Thanks to our in house diy guru Caitlin for preparing this mouthwatering treat. You will wow your loved ones with this legendary ruby colored cake smothered in cream cheese frosting. We used our Kenmore Elite Mixer which happens to be red and perfect for the job!
To see all the photos from our Valentine's shoot and to get your Free heart day post card click here. Will you baking a tasty treat for Valentine's Day? Do share what you plan to whip up. We would love to hear. How pretty is the cake stand from Casa de Perrin?
Red Velvet Cake Recipe:
3 1/3 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 ¼ cup sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
5 Tablespoons red food coloring
3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ tsp salt
1 ½ cups buttermilk, at room temp
1 ½ tsp cider vinegar
1 ½ tsp baking soda Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
1. To make the cake: In a small bowl, sift the cake flour and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. In another small bowl, whisk the red food coloring, cocoa, and vanilla together. Add to the batter and beat well. In a measuring cup, stir the salt into the buttermilk. Add the batter in three parts, alternating with the flour. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated, be careful not to overbeat.
4.In a small bowl, stir together the cider vinegar and baking soda. Add to the batter and mix well. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl, making sure the ingredients are well blended and the batter is smooth.
5. Grease and lightly flour the jumbo muffin tin.
6. Divide the batter into the prepared pans. Bake for 2-25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let the layers cool in the pans for1 hour. Remove from the pans and cool completely on a wire rack.
7. Once the cake has cooled either frost the cake or continue to make mini cakes. To make the mini cakes, cut the tops of each mini cake off (save the scraps for cake balls or for snacking.) Make each cake 2 layers high. Frost the between layers, then ice the top and sides of the cake with a light crumb coat and allow to chill until hardened. Finally frost the cakes with one final layer of creamy smooth frosting and pile on conversation hearts and other festive candies.
How To Make Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
8 oz cream cheese, softened
½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
16 oz powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract Method:
Combine the cream cheese and butter, cream until smooth. Add the powdered sugar, beating with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Stir in the vanilla.