DIY Palm Springs Wedding At Cree Estate

giant balloons and a wedding kiss captured by Yuna Leonard

Is there anything better than being on the edge of a life changing event and taking in all of the possibilities in front of you? So why not drink it in while you are in the moment? That is just what free spirits, Chris and Marcy did after he popped the question. “If I could give any piece of advice it would be to relax and enjoy that special time together.” Marcy said, “We did absolutely NO wedding planning (we didn’t even bring it up) for the first month of our engagement. It was so nice to just enjoy one another’s happiness and be excited for our new lives together without the stress of planning a wedding.”

Whatever they did, it seems to have worked out stupendously for them! Their whole day appeared effortless and with so many DIY elements it was beautifully tailored to fit their personalities. To see even more of this DIY Palm Springs wedding don’t forget to check out the full gallery here. All of the gorgeous details were captured by Yuna Leonard. Be sure to read on for the full budget break down, waiting patiently for all you Palm Springs Brides!

wooden wedding sign

DIY save the dates and wedding invites

silver wedding shoes from DSW

gray bridesmaids dresses

DIY bridal bouquet in purples and pinks

From the Bride:
We got married in Palm Springs last October, and it was just a complete fairytale. Palm Springs has always held a special place in our hearts, plus the soft natural light is just so pretty and romantic. Our entire wedding weekend was so special since we had the majority of the wedding party staying with us at the estate. We had a weekend full of festivities starting with the fun set-up and rehearsal dinner on Friday and ending with a poolside brunch on Sunday. It simply wouldn’t have been the same without them. Plus…our friends helped out with so much.

Marcy and Chris decided to design their own Save the Dates and hand assemble their wedding invitations, the template for which they purchased on Etsy. This ended up saving them oodles, the grand total adding up to just around $100 for both the invites and the Save the Dates. What a smart couple! Swoon Alert! How gorg is Marcy’s Watter’s wedding dress! Plus she got it for a steal of a deal from an LA boutique that was using it as a sample dress. Bonus!

grey suit black tie groom with black suit grey tie groomsmen

DIY succulent and air plant boutonniere

wedding attire for your pets

From the Bride:
We saved a TON of money by doing our own flowers. After researching the flowers we would need I arranged for my maid of honor to pick them up at the Original LA Flower Mart. The night before My bridesmaids and I prepped all the centerpieces and our bouquets. We also made all the boutonnieres with succulents and air plants from our garden and Etsy.

The beauty of doing our wedding at Cree Estate was that we got to personalize everything and make it our own. The downside is that we had to do everything ourselves. From the tables, chairs, lights, dining utensils, and linens…down to renting extra trashcans for the bar areas, we had to pretty much rent and bring everything.

With help from my dad we created large wooden signs that not only were a fun decorative touch but they were helpful in guiding our guests around the estate. We DIY’d almost everything. From all the centerpieces, place cards, ceremony backdrop, table numbers, all the bouquets, and programs — pretty much everything was handcrafted by myself and my awesome bridesmaids.

DIY ceremony sign programs and decor

DIY tassel ceremony backdrop

fun reserved seat signs and milk glass ceremony centerpieces

Palm Springs Wedding

just married

Due to a tight budget I truly tried to find ways in which to cut costs. Off the bat, we “splurged” on two things that really meant a lot to us: the venue and our photographer. We felt that, ultimately, you’re going to throw away the decorations, eat the food and drink the booze…but you’ll have your photos forever and the right setting can make or break the overall feel of your entire day. So those two areas were non-negotiable for us, everywhere else we tried to find budget friendly alternatives.

photography by Yuna Leonard

Watters wedding dress

Another one of my favorite projects was the place cards. We spray painted little animals with gold paint, hand stamped our guests’ names onto shipping tags and then tied each tag to the animal with gray baker’s twine. I thought they turned out super cute. We even took hand-sewn muslin and spray painted it in different patterns with gold paint to make the table runners. For the centerpieces, I had been saving glass jars, bottles and vases for months so that we could paint the inside in order to keep them looking shiny and glossy. This project was super easy and super fun.

We thought Marcy and Chris’s “Love Note” guestbook idea was super cute! The table was set up with note cards for guest to congratulate, sign and/or give advice to the happy couple. So pin worthy, right?!

love notes to the bride and groom

guestbook and love notes table

clothesline escort cards

DIY table runner and centerpieces

DIY table numbers

bronze painted DIY table number

gold and white wedding decor ideas

collected glass jars used as centerpieces

free printable bride and groom sign

From the Bride:
I’m so honored to be part of Wedding Chicks. I probably looked at the site daily when planning our wedding so it’s really special to think that we might be able to inspire another couple, just as many did for us.

Looky here! It appears that Marcy and Chris had some fun on the Wedding Chicks Free Printables Page! These super fun Bride and Groom seat signs can also be at your wedding for FREE, all you have to do is download and print. It’s almost too easy! You can even customize your own Wedding Chicks tote like the one seen below, or choose from tons of other designs at the Wedding Chicks Shop.

Wedding Chicks customizable tote

customized drink cups and DIY bar sign

DIY photobooth sign

Although we loved every minute of our wedding, we do wish that we had thought to capture the speeches and toasts from our best friends and family. We were lucky enough to have a friend video our vows, first dance, and the father-daughter dance (which we love having on video) but we wish we had all the amazing, beautiful, and thoughtful things our friends and family said on video.

We really lucked out in that one of our best friends owns and operates a few bars in Los Angeles so they were able to help us purchase all the wine, beer, and alcohol at cost. We’re suckers for a donut so opted for a donut bar, opposed to a traditional wedding cake – the guests loved it!

first dance

wedding donut bar

donut flags

Check out the wedding film from Spencer Woolcott below to get a closer look at this DIY free spirit wedding!

Veil, Hair Accessories: Tessa Kim

Photography: Yuna Leonard
Coordinator: Galas By Gerry
Cinematographer & Photobooth: Spencer Woolcott
Venue: Cree Estate
Flowers: DIY bouquet, centerpieces & boutonnieres Original LA Flower Mart
Dress designer: Watters
Shoe Designer: Lulu Townsend
Groom’s attire; Zegna
Jewelry: Earrings Lulu Frost for J.Crew
Lighting: Signature Party Rentals
Bridesmaid Dresses: Chosen by bridesmaids | Hair: Sarah Latchford |Makeup: Dejakai Martin | DJ: Jim Evens

Read on to see how much this DIY free spirit wedding cost. Please note that costs change as the years go by, and prices are subject to change. This is just one couple’s breakdown to give you a rough estimate on how much a wedding like this may cost you.

Sure, I'd be happy to provide a budget breakdown, here's what our money got us:

Total Budget: $24,000
80 guests
Palm Springs, CA

Venue & Accommodations, 3 days: 6,000
Photographer, 6 hours: 2,700
Dress & Accessories : 1,570
Bride's dress : 1,400
Belt, DIY: 10 (DIY Belt, I handmade the belt by re-purposing some matching velvet material and a crystal clasp I purchased from a different belt I got on sale at Anthropologie)
Shoes: 50
Veil: 60
Earrings: 50
Groom's Suit, Shoes, & Tie: 1,000
Rentals & Lighting: 4,500
Booze: 800
Flowers, DIY: 400
Boutonnieres, DIY: 30
Catering and Staff: 4,000
Decor, DIY: 900
Stationery, DIY: 100
DJ: Free, friend
Officiant: Free, friend

Songs:
Processional: Santo & Johnny “Sleepwalk”
Bride’s Processional: Phosphorescent – “Song for Zula” (instrumental)
Recessional: Mazzy Star “Fade Into You”
Grand Entrance: The XX “Intro”
First Dance: Van Morrison “Tupelo Honey”
F/D Dance: Whitesnake “Here I Go Again” (this was my favorite song as a little girl and it’s always held a special place in our hearts)

Comments

1. 0. @OldNewBorrowedB says:

#Wedding #Bride #Reception DIY Palm Springs Wedding At Cree Estate http://t.co/Lqol4w67cX

2. Wow this is absolutely amazing!! Love the whole feel and styling of the wedding! Amazing pictures!

3. Just a beautiful wedding! Love her dress and the bridesmaid dresses! Awesome details!

4. 0. @WeddGownCleaner says:

RT @weddingchicks: All that was missing from this Palm Springs Wedding was my invitation! (; It’s SO cute!!! http://t.co/gRufjDyjc1 http://…

5. 0. Noel Deasington says:

Beautiful! Love the tone of the pictures.

6. 0. @DestinysBride says:

7. 0. @Simchaclick says:

8. 0. @TessaKim says:

Wow we are blown away by real bride Marcy’s DIY wedding featured on Weddingchicks today! She wore our Tessa Kim… http://t.co/4aCESgWpRS

9. 0. TSP0ON says:

I love seeing the song choices – these are particularly amazing! I’d love to see more of this in future posts!

10. 0. KimBC0 says:

Crazy over everything about this wedding!!! They did an amazing job with all the diy projects! I have to ask, I’m trying to find the instrumental version of ‘Song for Zura’.. anyone know? It’s beautiful!

11. 0. Marcy Carmena says:

Thanks to Wedding Chicks for making our special day shine so brightly. And thanks to all for your kind comments.

@KimBC0 – I actually reached out to Phosphorescent’s label (Dead Oceans) to get the instrumental version. Talk about making me the happiest bride ever! :) http://phosphorescentmusic.com/contact/

12. 0. TamaraG says:

I’m obsessed with looking at wedding sites as I am a bride-to-be…and this is my absolute favorite wedding. The bride looks like someone you’d wanna hang out with and I LOVE her ink. My entire back is inked & I was slightly concerned…but she looked absolutely gorgeous!

13. 0. William James says:

This is truly a wedding dream come to life! Phenomenal!

14. 0. @oliviawhitbread says:

wooden wedding sign #diy #weddingsigns #weddingchicks http://t.co/iUH9dq0tN3 http://t.co/vjjZFJTzrW

15. 0. @CCSeventsRVA says:

#love #realwedding http://t.co/Bw1MMNko9B

16. 0. @mbridegroomtv says:

17. 0. @StylishlySweet says:

Loving this #DIY Palm Springs Wedding on @WeddingChicks — So gorgeous! http://t.co/7HwIZtwouT #WW http://t.co/ONyYKYGbCO

18. 0. Marcy Carmena says:

@TamaraG – Aw, thanks. I actually used to be concerned about all my tattoos being on full display on my wedding day…but I got over it (obviously (: ). You should feel comfortable and confident in your own skin, and that’s what will shine through. You’ll be a beautiful bride! Happy wedding planning!

19. 0. DeeLew6565 says:

Very beautiful wedding, I love the jumbo balloons … where did you get them?

20. 0. Marcy Carmena says:

@DeeLew6565 – We had a lot of fun with the giant balloons! I purchased them online from http://www.shopsweetlulu.com, but I’ve also seen them from various shops on Etsy. Hope that helps. Thanks!

21. 0. Warren E. Ryder says:

Wow! amazing wedding set up though. I’m always wishing to have a wedding like this someday. Got some searching in the net and saw this site http://www.oneheartwedding.com.hk/. They have pictures of some amazing wedding set up. Surely wedding planners got some talent to bring the best wedding set up

22. 0. shea says:

Beautiful wedding… I notice there is a video and yet no mention of videographer cost. Was it provided free?

Also… I can’t help but notice it bares a striking resemblance to one of my favorite bloggers weddings but no mention is made: http://greenweddingshoes.com/palm-springs-diy-wedding-natalie-chris/

23. Super beautiful dress and the details are all so lovely! Wish I have the luxury of time for my wedding to make DIY details like these. Congrats and best wishes to the very beautiful couple!:-)

24. 0. marcy carmena says:

@shea – Thanks for your comment. Yes, our wedding video was an (amazing) surprise gift from a friend so was not included in our overall budget.

Mint Love Social Club is also one of my favorite blogs! I personally love Natalie’s style and am inspired by her everyday. :) We re-created our giant wooden signs per Natalie’s DIY tutorial she published on her blog here: http://www.mintlovesocialclub.com/2012/07/diy-printed-wedding-signs.html. As you might imagine, not every word from an interview may ultimately appear in the final article, so although I gave Natalie a shout-out, it just didn’t make the cut. :)

Thanks.

25. 0. Frank Piper says:

I’m always wishing to have a wedding like this someday. Got some searching in the net and saw this sitehttp://www.vogueseason.com/. They have pictures of some amazing wedding set up too.

26. 0. mayra says:

I absolutely luv your wedding and have already pinned about half of it :D

I’m DIY’ing too and was wondering what store you purchased your font on Etsy from? Also, did you make your Love Notes bowl- it’s adorbs!

thnx!

27. 0. Marcy Carmena says:

@mayra – Thank you so much for your kind words! I ended up only using free fonts that I founds online. There’s a few really great sites such as dafonts.com or even kevinandamanda.com/fonts she has some really good ones! I even found some good resources via Pinterest. We did purchase our DIY invitations from an Etsy shop but it is no longer (sad).

I did make our Love Notes and Cards bowls! There were just bowls I had lying around and I used paint pens to write on them. Super easy. :)

Happy wedding planning!

28. 0. Tanya says:

Your wedding was stunning! I am wondering how you did those paper cups? Did you stamp or is that just written by hand?

29. 0. nicole says:

beautiful wedding i love every single thing, im gettin marry on the beach but the place is just like this, i jus thave two months left. can you tell me where you got your runners and table clothes and if they where DIY how? please please

30. 0. Sarah says:

I LOVE your table runners. Where did you get them or the fabric?

1. […] Purple Ombre Floral Runner – Photography by Bradley James Photography, Event and Floral Design by Hey Gorgeous Events via Style Me Pretty | Purple Sweetheart Dress by BHLDN | Gemstone Earrings + Vintage Pewter Tray – Photography by Brett Heidebrecht Photography, Jewelry Design by Margaret Elizabeth Jewelry via Style Me Pretty | Watercolor Invitations – Photography by Elisa Bricker Photography, Stationery Design by Fishwich Design via The Bride Link | Romantic Grecian Wedding Dress – Photography by Agnes Thor Photography, Wedding Dress designed by Alexandra Grecco, via Once Wed | Wild Purple Bouquet – Photography and Floral Design by Katie Grant Photo via Wedding Sparrow | Pewter Wedding Heels – Photography by Yuna Leonard Photography, Shoes designed by Lulu Townsend via Wedding Chicks […]