PPS-FW14-SIG-550X430A

Vintage Bookworm Wedding

jenna petersen photography

Kandis and Dan’s unique love story called for a wedding day meant to inviting their guests to jump straight into its pages as they embarked on a new chapter of their lives. From vintage books instead of bridesmaid bouquets, to a hardback themed wedding cake and decor, these two crafty bookworms created quite a page turner of a wedding that will leave you wanting more.

Nestled in the California mountains, Secluded Garden Estate provided a perfectly enchanting setting for Dan and Kandis to say ‘I do.’ If you can’t get enough of this vintage bookworm wedding captured by Jenna Petersen, be sure to soak up all the fabulous details in the full gallery here.

wedding ceremony sign

pre bridal bruch

burlap wrapped bouquet

getting wedding ready

romantic wedding hair

From Jenna Petersen:
Kandis’s one-of-a-kind wedding gown was handmade by a close friend, Jennifer Sitchler, with Eden Couture Bridal. The special and sweet part was that Jennifer embroidered two patches on the inside of the dress to remember the day. She also handmade the veil and garter with the left over trim from the dress and one special piece of lace from Kandis’s moms old wedding dress.

romantic bridal looks

vintage book bouquets

suitcase for cards

sign a bible at wedding

drop a card in a book

From the Bride:
All ten bridesmaids received a vintage version of their favorite classic book that I hunted down within our engagement period, from Jayne Eyre to Huckleberry Finn, the books were just too cool! Inside them were personalized letters for each girl that they got to read when the day was over as a thank-you to them.

The groomsmen each received their very own, hand chosen, unique pocket watch to wear the day of. One of our groomsmen who was a younger gentlemen even got his mini pocket watch. With all of the pocket watches different it was a personal touch to the groomsmen from their close friend, the groom.

silk flower boutonniere

black white and gray groom look

blue and khaki groomsmen

vintage groomsman looks

As excessive book lovers, vintage enthusiasts and huge fans of DIY, to stay on budget of course, we got to work right away on our vision for our wedding within our five month engagement. With many, many details in mind our venue Secluded Garden Estate made it easy to see our vision played out at this rustic little venue on a privately owned property that was very romantic and dreamy.

paper book fans

hitchin post sign

decorating with books

How adorable is this burlap banner that says Time To Tie The Knot? Such a fun and memorable keepsake piece as well.

time to tie the knot sign

wedding ceremony

wedding kiss

vintage wedding ideas

bride and groom style

In efforts to create something unique, and use our resources to up-cycle, it excited my mother beyond belief to begin crafting and coming up with ideas that you would not see elsewhere. For the wedding decorations, from the ceremony sight to the guest table, gift table, cove, and reception area almost everything you get a peek at was handmade.

whimsical wedding reception

whimsical reception decor

wedding decor ideas

sweetheart ideas

sweetheart table

My advice to future brides, you will have to come across things you will have to be flexible on. For me I just saw it as an opportunity to fall in love with new ideas to execute and then you wont have to wish you would have done anything different. Our wedding was more perfect for us then we could have ever imagined.

book themed wedding cake

vintage dessert table

just married

lighting ideas

You simply must watch the entire video from Logan Guthrie. A breathtaking and memorable wedding film that we could watch over and over.

Photographer: Jenna Petersen
Venue: Secluded Garden Estate
Makeup: Raeleen Babbel
Hair: Brooklin Hopkins of Acappella
Cinematography: Logan Guthrie
Officiant: Andrew Pitts of Antioch
Shoe Designer: Justin Boots
Dress Designer, Veil & Garter: Jennifer Sitchler
Bridal Bouquet and Groom's Boutonniere: Curious Crafts
Cake & Cupcakes: Michelle Olsen
Caterers: Party Planners
DJ: Allen Michael

Read on to see how much this vintage bookworm wedding cost. Please note that costs change as the years go by, and prices are subject to change. This is just one couple’s breakdown to give you a rough estimate on how much a wedding like this may cost you.

Our Budget was $12,000 and we hit it right on the dot! The majority of our budget went to the vendors.

Vendors (not including the dress): $9,000
Supplies for decor/accessories/outfits/shoes/dress etc... : $3,000
So really we saved a lot of money by having a DIY up-cycled wedding, it was time consuming, especially in a 5 month engagement period but it was VERY worth it.

Comments

1. 0. Stacia says:

This wedding is delightful! I feel absolutely inspired.

2. 0. Kandis Marino says:

Thank you so much for publishing our wedding! We feel so blessed to have had such amazing friends, family and vendors to help make our day so special. For all who view it I am extremely thankful they are able to, so thank you for making that possible!
    -Kandis Marino … The Bride

3. 0. @EnrapturedEvent says:

So adorable and heartfelt! RT @weddingchicks: For all you bookworms, we have the perfect wedding! http://t.co/yqOh5srpVj

4. 0. Jenna Petersen says:

Thank you Bethany and Jocey, and everyone with involved with Wedding Chicks for featuring this! So blessed by you and everyone involved with this wedding. A giant thank you to my second shooter Rachel Jay with rachel-jay.com for helping me on this day. I couldn’t have done it without you. <3 Love you all!

5. 0. Brooklin Hopkins says:

What’s even more beautiful than the pictures are the hearts of the bride and groom !! Two AMAZING people !! I Felt so blessed to do kandis’s hair that morning and be a part of this wedding in helping Kandis look her best on her wedding day ! She makes my work look great!
    Brooklin Hopkins -Hairstylsit at Acappella hair design and color studio

6. 0. Jennifer Sitchler says:

I was absolutely blessed and honored to be a part of this wedding in such a special way! Kandis and I came together and collaborated on the design of this dress that began with just a thought and a sketch and eventually turned into the finished gown that you see above. It is always such a special experience for me getting to create a dress that a bride has been thinking about in her mind since she was a little girl, and seeing it come to life until the day her groom will set his eyes on the rest of his life walking before him. I just want every future bride to know that you CAN have a custom dress even if you’re on a budget! Just email me your ideas and we can go from there! God bless and may your future marriages be filled with abundant joy and love!
    Designer of Eden Couture
    -Jennifer Sitchler

7. 0. @Wedding_Agent says:

Vintage Bookworm Wedding http://t.co/YtO7zxXLSV #weddings

8. 0. Stacy says:

Beautiful and inspiring!

9. 0. Jennifer Sitchler says:

If you’d like more info please contact me at 951.491.3554 and email to edencouturebridal@yahoo.com

10. 0. Raeleen Babbel says:

It was an absolute Honor to be apart of the Marino Wedding. Jenna and Rachel captured Kandis and Dan in their purest most beautiful form. Their strong Faith and Love for one another is truly inspiring. Thank you, Wedding Chicks for publishing their wedding!
    All my love,
    RaeleenB.
    Downtown Beauty Studio {Temecula, Ca}

11. 0. @CuriousCrafts23 says:

RT @weddingchicks: For all you bookworms out there, we have the perfect wedding for you! http://t.co/YP7I1pSTCj @jenna_photo @lguthrie490 @…

12. It’s charming to see how many personal touches this couple included in their big day … from the wedding gown to the classic novels as bridesmaids gifts. This wedding looks to truly be one of fairy tales. Beautifully put together.

13. 0. Kate says:

Right from the pages of a fairy tale! Love it all, thanks for sharing!

14. 0. Joanne Loo says:

Oh wow, this is absolutely gorgeous! Being a bookworm myself, this really hits off! I should take a leaf out of their books if I intend to plan my future wedding ;)

15. It was an interesting ideas. I love your sweet corner which was decorated well with the book concept

16. 0. Sara Pepin says:

First off I LOVE this wedding it’s amazing :) 2nd do you have a tutorial on the homemade fans?

17. 0. @broussardfarm says:

VINTAGE BOOKWORM WEDDING: http://t.co/v8MQeI8FNY

18. 0. KK West says:

Very nice! If I could do it all again….I’d marry the same man and have it done up like yours! Many years of happiness to you and your new husband.

KK West

19. 0. Angela Mercier says:

Absolutely lovely wedding! I would love to know where the bride got her baby’s breath flower crown…did she make it?

20. 0. Priscilla Dean says:

Hi! I am so inspired by this wedding! I am obsessed with the wooden shutters behind the groom and bride’s table! I know this is a shot in the dark, but I was wondering where they were from?! I really would like something like this at my wedding this summer! Hope to hear from someone soon! *fingers crossed*

21. 0. Kandis Marino says:

@Priscilla Dean

Kandis Marino- The Bride

22. 0. Kandis Marino says:

@Priscilla Dean

In response to your question about the shutter doors behind our sweetheart table, Dan and I actually made them…. We bought four old chipping cream colored doors from an antique shop down in San Diego then painted, sanded, hinged, and added door knobs we were actually going to keep this piece for our home but it got so weathered it was chipping too much…. So we sold it to a wedding rental company called touched by time vintage rentals here is a link to their FB page https://m.facebook.com/TouchedByTimeVintageRentals she has it on hand now to rent out:) good luck! And congrats!

Kandis Marino- The Bride