DIY Detail & Favor Wedding Projects

DIY Bleach Pen Tank Top

DIY Bleach Pen Tank Top

We love the idea of spending quality time with your bridesmaids before your big day — and what better way to spend that time than getting all crafty with a DIY project! This DIY Bleach Pen Tank Top, from Melissa Ryan of Marble Rye Photography, is the perfect project for you and your gals! These custom tanks make the perfect bridesmaid gift and would be such a cute detail at your upcoming bridal shower, bachelorette party and even while you’re getting ready the day of the wedding. Check out the simple steps below to make this custom tank top at home!

Supplies:
For the DIY Bleach Pen Tank Top project you will need tank tops in a fun color, Clorox bleach pens, a cutting board, plastic bags, tape, a washer/dryer and great wine. Melissa got their tank tops at Target and recommends getting enough for your bridal party plus a few extras, just to be safe.

DIY Bleach Pen Tank Tops steps 1-4

From Melissa of Marble Rye Photography:
We wanted to make tank tops for the bridal party (affectionately named “Team Awesome”), and decided on this easy-to-do DIY. We chose to adorn the bridal party tank tops with the hashtag Emilia and Chris will encourage wedding guests to use throughout their wedding weekend. We’ll be wearing these bright tanks while running last minute errands and getting ready on the Big Day!

Step 1:
The first step in creating these tank tops is to determine which of your friends is the most artistic or has the best handwriting. It’s also a good idea to figure out what you want the design to look like and practice with the bleach pens on some cardboard or an old shirt before attempting the tank tops. Leigh, who had been roped into writing way too many name tags for weddings, was the candidate chosen from “Team Awesome.”

Step 2:
While your artist/calligrapher is busy practicing it’s time to get everything else set up. Start by covering a cutting board with a plastic bag. According to Melissa a shopping bag or garbage bag will work perfectly.

Step 3:
Next, slide the covered cutting board into one of the tank tops. Lay tank on table, then hold down the straps of the tank by using tape or having someone hold them.

Step 4:
Now that you have a tank top ready and your appointed artist has practiced her technique, it’s time to decorate! Using a bleach pen, carefully write your hashtag or draw your design across the chest or back of the tank top.

DIY Bleach Pen Tank Tops steps 5-8

Step 5:
After your artist pal has finished drawing the design on the tank carefully pull the cutting board out of the plastic bag in the tank top. Make sure the plastic bag is left inside the tank so that the bleach doesn’t bleed into the opposite side of the shirt.

Step 6:
Lay the tank out to dry for at least 1 hour. The bleach will turn from creamy to gel-like over time.

Step 7:
Repeat the process on each tank top!

Step 8:
Once all of your tanks are dry it’s time to wash them. Start running your washing machine, letting the water fill to at least 4 inches. Then place the shirts in one at a time, letting each one soak. Run the washer’s full cycle without detergent, then transfer to the dryer.

DIY Bleach Pen Tank Tops

Categories: DIY Detail & Favor Wedding Projects

Comments

1. -100. @Wedding_Agent says:

DIY Bleach Pen Tank Top http://t.co/rUsYTb7WwO #weddings

2. -100. @marbleryephoto says:

RT @weddingchicks: Check out this DIY bleach pen tank top idea! http://t.co/ZNJVAlHfrm @marbleryephoto

3. -100. @marbleryephoto says:

so thrilled to be featured on @weddingchicks today. the super easy, breezy bleach pen tank top DIY! http://t.co/bjf7lWTfHj

4. -100. melissa says:

Had such a blast shooting the absolute simplest DIY customized tank! Let me know if you give it a try. xo

5. -100. Hollie says:

I tried this today followed the steps ecaxtly but when the shirts came out of the wash they were clear/blank/ the bleach didn’t stay on the shirt! Help!!

6. -100. Hannah Lalor says:

I did this. IT IS AWESOME!!! Thank you!

7. -100. Ann says:

Where did you buy the tank tops? What material are they?

8. hello there and thank you for your info – I’ve definitely picked
    up anything new from right here. I did however expertise several
    technical issues using this site, as I experienced to reload the web site lots
    of times previous to I could get it to load properly.
    I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining,
    but slow loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google
    and can damage your high-quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords.
    Well I am adding this RSS to my email and can look out for
    much more of your respective intriguing content. Make sure you update this again soon.

9. -100. Amber says:

I read on another website that after you get done making your shirt that you need to soak it in white vinegar. Otherwise, even after washing your shirt, your shirt will get holes becuase the bleach will eat through the fabric. I did that with mine and so far, no holes :) I let it soak in vinegar for 30 minutes and then washed it and there is no vinegar smell at all! :)

10. -100. lawyer yellow pages says:

Terrific post however I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this topic?
    I’d be vdry thankful if you could elaborate a little bit more.
    Cheers!

11. -100. Rachel says:

One thing, though these look super cute, bleach tends to make fabrics weaker. My mom used to stain old shorts of my dad’s she hated “accidentally”, and not only did it leave the stain, but over a short period of time it led to a rip because of the weaker fabric. Just something to watch out for :)

12. -100. Charissa says:

Have you ever considered publishing an e-book or guest authoring on other blogs?
    I have a blog centered on the same topics you discuss and wouuld really like
    to have you share some stories/information. I know my subscribers would appreciate your work.
    If you are even remmotely interested, feel free to send
    me an email.

13. Tɦanks for sharing уoսr thoughts about visual basic
    2010 tutorial. Ɍegards

14. Hey there! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if
    you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m
    having trouble finding one? Thanks a lot!

15. What a great idea, Melissa! This is a perfect alternative to the traditional bedazzled rhinestone tank tops, and it’s probably less expensive as well.

I actually featured your tutorial as part of a recent post I shared about <a href="http://thinklikeabosslady.com/bachelorette-party-idea-props/"5 Unique Prop Ideas for a Non-traditional Bachelorette Party. I am a big fan of unique and fun ways to throw a bachelorette party and I think the props you choose play a huge role in the overall feel and success of the party.

You’ll have to let me know what you think!

Lisa | thinklikeabosslady.com

16. Ooops, sorry, not sure what happened to the link. Here it is:

5 Unique Prop Ideas for a Non-traditional Bachelorette Party

17. -100. rijschool utrecht says:

Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate yyou writing this write-up plus the rest of the site is extremely good.

18. -100. shea says:

Thanks for the post! Making some workout tees this way!
    BTW, I read in some posts that they suggested using vinegar as a bleach stop. NEVER EVER combine bleach and vinegar! It can produce deadly chlorine gas! NEVER do it! It also does not stop the bleach from eating through the fibers, it eventually will. You can dump 1/2 a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in to a couple gallons of water and that will do it. Or go to a wine or beer supply shop and get sodium or potassium metabisulfite. 1 teaspoon per 2.5 gallons of water will neutralize the bleach. I am just cringing that someone out there is promoting mixing bleach and vinegar. Please don’t do it.

19. -100. Link says:

it did not work. It bled too much and you can’t read them… So disappointing. I had practiced on an old tank top and it came out fine. But on the final product that I was giving my bridesmaids, they just look not too good =[

20. -100. Jennifer says:

The instructions don’t say when to REMOVE the plastic bag? Obviously they wouldn’t go in the dryer but would you leave them in the wash?

21. -100. Cara says:

This does not work, what a waste of money and time. I’m 2 weeks from my bach with no shirts now.

22. -100. MiAllie says:

Hey! I tried this multiple times but it did not work. I wrote on it with a bleach pen and then let it sit for an hour and then I took it and put it in the wash with no detergent. When I took it out the was nothing the shirt was blank. Why?

Thanks
    -Millie

23. -100. janet says:

do you wash in cold,warm or hot? Sorry in advance if I overlooked that part.
    Thanks
    Janet

24. -100. design tshirts says:

Every weekend i used to visit this web site,
    because i want enjoyment, since this this web site conations
    actually good funny information too.

25. -100. Beverly Perry says:

Another cute way to use this idea for the honeymoon, write `Just Married’ on the back of two tee shirts for the bride and groom. My husband and I had shirts made with this on the back (not with bleach) for our honeymoon trip to Disney World almost 40 years ago. We got a lot of congrats, smiles, and cute comments on them.

26. -100. tshirt transfer paper says:

It’s hard to come by knowledgeable people in this particular
    topic, however, you sound like you know what you’re talking about!
    Thanks

27. ブランドスーパーコピーバッグ、財布、時計プラダ スーパーコピー,プラダ 財布 コピー,プラダ 新作 財布ブランド財布コピー,ブランド スーパーコピー 財布,プラダ スーパーコピー 財布,シャネル財布コピールイヴィトン 財布 コピー,ルイヴィトン 財布 コピー 代引き,ルイヴィトン財布スーパーコピー,ルイヴィトン 財布 スーパーコピー 代引き,ヴィトン財布代引き,ヴィトン財布 人気,ヴィトン財布 激安,モノグラム 財布,マルチカラー 財布,ルイヴィトン財布新作,ルイヴィトン バッグ 新作,ルイヴィトン スーパーコピー 即日発送ルイヴィトン スーパーコピー 専門店ルイヴィトン スーパーコピー バッグルイヴィトン スーパーコピー 財布ルイヴィトン スーパーコピー 長財布2015年新作 ルイヴィトン スーパーコピールイヴィトン コピー,ルイヴィトン コピー 財布,ルイヴィトン コピー バッグ
    ブランドコピー激安、ブランドコピー時計、ブランドコピー品当店のスーパーコピー商品は他店よりも質が高く、金額も安くなっております。ご購入する度、ご安心とご満足の届けることを旨にしておりますコピーブルガリ時計,コピーフランクミュラー時計,コピーシャネル時計, http://www.bestevance.com/louisvuitton/index_6.html

28. スーパーコピーブランドショップ有名ブランド品の輸入業、卸売り業、インターネット小売販売N級,,S級 ヴィトン、シャネル、グッチ、財布、バッグ。 高級腕時計ROLEX 、OMEGA 、CARTIER 、 BVLGARI、是非ご覧下さい。2015超人気腕時計、LOUIS VUITTON新品の大量入荷!商品の数量は多い、品質はよい、価格は低い、現物写真!本当の意味でのハイレプがほしい方にお勧めです。経営方針: 品質を重視、納期も厳守、信用第一は当社の方針です。
    ブランドN級品ブランドコピー 代引き,スーパーコピー時計,ブランドN級品,楽天コピーブランド,,偽物ブラン日本最大級の最高のスーパーコピーブランド財布激安代引き販売店,スーパーコピー時計の激安老舗.!国内No.1時計コピー工房,アフターサービスも自ら製造したスーパーコピー時計なので、技術力でお客様に安心のサポー トをご提供させて頂きます。スーパーコピー 代引きN品をご 購入の方は、こちらへ.弊社は正規品と同等品質のコピー品を低価で お客様に提供します!すべての商品は品質2年無料保証です。 http://www.msnbrand.com/brand-copy-IP-20.html

29. -100. more information says:

If some one wishes expert view on the topic of blogging
    and site-building afterward i suggest him/her to go to see this webpage, Keep up the nice work.

30. これは一種の海馬シリーズの腕時計、そのデザインセンスはさかのぼって1956年オメガの「海馬16」記念表項(Seamaster XVI)。ブランドコピー1956年にメルボルンで行われた第16回オリンピック大会を記念としオメガ1957年オリンピックの指定カウントダウンの25週年で、オメガ特別の発表した「海馬16」記念表項。 http://www.okakaku.com/Super-Copy-195.html

31. Rolex(ロレックス)中国で現在樹立のイメージと世界各地で現れたイメージ同様、すなわち一つ抜群で象徴的なブランドに満ちて。中国人はちょうどこのような熱心を象徴するもの。まさにという考えさせるためにRolex(ロレックス)のクラウンもっと輝いて、会社はナンバー2ダニエルNeidhartそのチームを率いて、描き出し「ロレックス世・界」(ザRolex Experience)の想い。ダニエルNeidhart香港オフィスで、主にグループが所有子会社の業務。彼の心をこめて画策下で、敷地面積は800平方メートルの「ロレックス世・界」が上海でグランドオープンによって家ローカルの小売業者の日常管理担当、内の施設の展示ホール、精品展示区及び専門店、計200以上の表の陳列や600枚在庫腕時計。これはRolex(ロレックス)一項の異例の措置。ウブロ時計コピーブランドの明確にもなかったが、「ロレックス世・界」は間違いなくて、世界のその他の地方が普及のため、各地の人々は期待して同じ体験を楽しむ。 http://www.gowatchs.com/brand-234.html

1. […] want to give the idea more personality (and save a little money) then I highly recommend this Bleach Pen Tank Top tutorial from Wedding […]

2. […] (سایت رو اینجا ببینید) […]

3. […] Bleach Pen Tank Top Tutorial […]

4. […] 3. The Bleach Pen Tank Top :I saw this and I couldnt help but think how brilliant it was to take a bleach gel pen and do this to a shirt- why didn’t I think of this?? It’s so simple, creative, and you can definitely personalize these to however you want them. I’ll probably have a lot of fun with these, especially since I’m a sucker for statement shirts. I think I’ll end up making one for my best friends gender reveal party to take a side on what I think the baby will be (results will come soon) :) […]

5. […] when I came across this one , I pinned it right away because what a great way to make a custom t-shirt or tank for summer or […]

6. […] when I came across this one , I pinned it right away because what a great way to make a custom t-shirt or tank for summer or […]