In honor of same-sex marriage becoming legal in New York we have a stylish same sex wedding captured by the ever-so-talented Lacie Hansen at the incredibly hip and happening Horizon Hotel. All the details were minimal, yet super snazzy all in the same moment. Catered by The Border Grill for all of you Top Chef Masters fans. Of course, there are so many more beautiful images to see in the full wedding gallery.
We also have some of the hottest gay wedding trends from the gay wedding institute so be sure to read on.
Gay wedding trends from the gay wedding institute
1. Use candles instead of floral for decor. Candles en masse are totally popular right now with gay couples. Clustered candles as centerpieces. Floating candles. Candleabras. A series of pillars clustered. And we are using LED candles if real candles aren’t allowed. LED candles have come a long way and make this design element even more appealing. Candles can be edgy, classic or romantic – or all of the above.
2. Two aisles for the ceremony continues to be BIG. This gives each bride or each groom their own space – they love the two becomes one metaphor and of course, it’s another place to decorate which is always fun. Love the decor, love the metaphor!
3. Pre-ceremony champagne or bar. Your guests enter the ceremony space and are greeted with champagne and sparkling water or a full open bar for 15-30 minutes before the ceremony. Um, yes please! This trend helps your guests take the edge off, especially for those who may not be super excited to be attending a gay wedding. It also sets a very celebratory tone.
4. Wedding weekends. Three day weddings are super hot right now – if you think about it, having all your nearest and dearest in one place doesn’t happen very often. We are going far beyond the rehearsal dinner and the brunch to really planning full on group activities (think Fun Runs, high ropes and scavenger hunts!) for three consecutive days. It’s fun for everyone and guarantees a memorable experience!
5. Cocktail Dresses. For the brides, not the grooms! We’ve seen more and more brides lately in cocktail dresses, even little black cocktail dresses! Again, it sets a very celebratory and fun tone and immediately conveys to the guests to expect the unexpected at this wedding bash.
A huge congratulations to Drew and Andy for a most beautiful wedding and celebration!
Photographer: Lacie Hansen
Venue: Horizon Hotel
Cake: Exquisite Desserts
Caterer: Border Grill Catering
Floral Design: Whole Blooms Group
Groom’s Attire: J Crew
Jewelry: Wedding Bands
Letterpress: Studio on Fire