Do It Yourself, or DIY, wedding projects allow you to create your own personalized favors and touches that can be applied in any way you can imagine on your special day, for a shower, a party or whenever. All you need are some basic items and a little creativity.
This subtle and pretty Do It Yourself Birdcage Veil is an alternative to the more traditional veil. A perfect finishing touch to your wedding day look. You can go ultra simple with a plain birdcage, or feminine and polished by adding an accent flower or two. To see more crafty do-it-yourself wedding projects click here.
1. Flower Cardboard Cutouts
3. Needle & Thread
4. Cotton Fabric
6. 9" Veiling Material
7. Metal Comb
8. Alligator Clip
To make the flower:
1. Make flower shaped cutouts from scrap cardboard pieces.
2. Lay cardboard cutouts onto cotton fabric and trace the flower shapes.
3. Cut out flower shapes.
4. Stack the flower shaped cutouts (from biggest on bottom to smallest on top).
5. Fold stack of flowers in half.
6. Fold in half two more times.
7. Holding the base of the flower, use your other hand to gently peel the petals outward to make it "bloom".
8. Continue holding the base of the flower and stitch the base together (going back and forth several times), then tie a knot to secure it in place.
To make the bandeau birdcage:
1. Cut out a 12" piece of 9" veiling material.
2. Thread a needle and tie the loose end of the thread onto one end of netting, forming a knot. Stitch in and out, going through every four gaps.
3. Gently gather that end of veiling together, stitch the gathered part together, then tie a knot to secure it in place.
4. Place a 3" piece of ribbon at gathered end of veiling. Fold both sides of ribbon toward the middle of the ribbon itself and stitch together.
5. Repeat these steps again on the other end of the veiling.
6. Cut out a small piece of cotton fabric and place inside an alligator clip.
7. Place one side of the gathered veiling on top of the alligator clip and sew it tightly to the small piece of cotton fabric (the top of the alligator clip is in the middle of these two pieces).
8. Sew the flower to the side with the alligator clip.
9. Sew a metal comb to the ribbon on the other end of the veiling.
A special thanks to our North Carolina photographers Hilton Pittman Photography for this crafty DIY along with Haut-Fin Designs.
For more of Hilton Pittman's recently featured do-it-yourself wedding ideas, see below:
Save The Date Wedding Maps
DIY Wedding Desserts
DIY Pretty Patterned Fabric Envelopes
DIY Strawberry Jam Favors
DIY Wedding Cakes
Make Your Own Hair Combs
DIY Easy Candle Wedding Favors
Simple DIY Bridal Clutch